The communications research group at Syneos Health is looking for a data engineer with experience working with healthcare or media data sets. You will build and manage databases and establish workflow pipelines that lead to API endpoints in support of data science tasks. You will also manage code libraries, automate database updates, and build and validate new methodologies for data set QA.
Syneos Health Communications is a network of PR, communications, branding, and advertising companies that help bring new medical products to market.
We are expanding the group that helps the company’s clients -- biopharma companies -- make better marketing decisions through advanced uses of data. You will be instrumental in identifying the right approaches, tools, and methods, as well as opportunities to put them to use.
Types of Projects
- Among the bigger problems you will help solving is optimizing and plugging large historical data lakes into disjoint public and commercial data sets to build models for:
- Identifying factors that influence patients’ adherence to a treatment regimen
- Ranking a list of physicians by the driving distance between their offices
- Creating the shortest route for a traveling salesman that will result in the largest number of conversions
It is meaningful and challenging work in a team of supportive and bright colleagues. A lot of things will have to be invented and built from scratch. You will not be bored.
Get things done:
- Establish ETL for both structured/unstructured data sources from internal/external sources
- Manage and create performance/error/analytics systems and processes for QA of all data sets
- Create dashboards and API data access tools for both technical and business users
- Manage and grow our network of data and research partners by finding and evaluating new suppliers and offerings
Make us better:
- Introduce best practices for database design, processing, and workflows
- Extend our capabilities by helping to build efficient and scalable frameworks
- Share your knowledge through training others, evaluating new tech, and building our documentation library
We are looking for someone who has done similar work elsewhere. You will need to be good at:
- Integrating data sources and schema design
- Querying, troubleshooting, and designing SQL and NoSQL databases
- Working directly with a variety of stakeholders to evaluate project needs
- Working with common cloud data repositories (AWS) and versioning systems (Git)
- Building processing pipelines between remote data lakes and local data warehouse
Analysis and optimization
- Making use of data visualization strategies for data QA to develop internal and end user dashboards (JS libraries and Tableau or similar)
- Identifying and maximizing data delivery methods specific to various end-user types
What it will take to succeed here
- Ship:Executing the day-to-day tasks; delivering projects on time and within parameters
- Background and training. Degree in information/library/computer sciences, operations research, physics, engineering field and/or relavent work experience
- Skills: 2-3 years with SQL, NoSQL, Python (or similar systems), Spark
- Independent problem-solving and grit. Willingness to own one’s work, and confidence to push best practices.
- Obsessive accuracy when it comes to numbers.
- Drive: Identifying and pursuing the most impactful opportunities. Requires an entrepreneurial, self-directed attitude, creativity, and familiarity with the business context (healthcare marketing).
- Grow: Being able to solve problems of increasing complexity. Requires awareness of gaps in one’s own skills and knowledge, and a motivation to fill them; lots of self-directed learning. You will have access to whatever online tutorials, textbooks, and reference materials you need.
Syneos Health companies are affirmative action/equal oppertunity employers (Minorities/Females/Vets/Disabled)