The Director of EU Scientific Services is responsible for the leadership and development of the Scientific Services (Local & Offshore Technical Medical Writing, Compliance Consultancy & Editorial Support) Team and oversees all scientific strategy, content generation and quality assurance within a broad omnichannel ecosystem.
The key responsibilities of the role:
- To be ultimately accountable for the high quality original and derivative, technically rigorous and authentic scientific content developed in line with client needs and new business pitches; and delivery excellence within agreed briefs, deadlines and budgets, making best use of all internal resources irrespective of the primary discipline of the originating agency (i.e. not just Medical Communications)
- Oversee and develop a strong team of Scientific Directors, Medical Writers, Editors and any necessary supporting Compliance Staff predominantly domiciled within the UK Home Offices, but also extending to offshore teams
- To work with senior members of scientific and client service teams to develop a framework for offshore vs local content development and generation; including the ongoing management of the process and allocation of resource in association with the Project management Team
- Effectively recruit, manage, mentor team and retain team members irrespective of location through regular 1:1s combined with active personal learning and development programs; must be able to travel to offshore teams as required
- To provide guidance and support to all EU regional in-market Syneos Health Communications offices and offers and across the broader affiliate network to support both domestic and larger regional and global opportunities, by participating in workshops and other meetings to represent the EU view as required by Senior Regional and Global Leadership
- To work in sync with client facing Account Handling and Scientific Strategy Teams to ensure all deliverables are on brief before broader internal presentation and contributing where appropriate to initial brief generation and approval
- Ensure a baseline level of compliance with relevant medical and industry ethical codes of practice and regulations (e.g. EFPIA, ABPI, GPP3) for all scientific content projects, including any other procedures required by individual clients. Lead Scientific Content Projects through to delivery in accordance with agreed timelines outlined by Project Management Team
- Develop Scientific Content for current clients and new business pitches for all client facing disciplines within Syneos Health Communications
- Build strong and influential client relationships, negotiating as necessary regarding the amendment of Scientific Content in line with client wishes and explaining what is and is not possible
- Participate in and attend new business opportunities, developing proposals and selling Scientific Content whilst staying involved in the long term as a senior content advisor
- Collaborate with the Project Management Team to estimate necessary resource requirements for any given project, oversee workflow and maintain a clear overview of team capacity, managing and mitigating resource related issues and to work with Project Management, Finance and HR to discuss resourcing requirements based on utilisation metrics and business need
- Be an advocate and thought leader on Scientific Content Generation; researching new technologies for content delivery in concert with the EU Omnichannel Customer Experience Design Team for inclusion in our agency deliverables
- Perform any other ad hoc or permanent duties as reasonably required by the company
- Senior scientific writing experience (>10 years) and previous line management of local team
- A proven track record in Scientific Content Generation within an Omnichannel environment including but not limited to Medical Communications, Advertising, Public/Professional Relations, Digital and Clinical Trial Recruitment
- A pro-active and conscientious manner with an aptitude for Scientific Content Generation and an abundance of great ideas
- Ability to create Scientific Content Outlines for others to work on, having a keen awareness of current trends in Scientific Communications
- Strong interpersonal skills are a must, with a crystal clear vision of what good looks like whilst remaining open to others’ ideas
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in order to pitch ideas to clients and explain ideas to other team members
- Proven leadership skills are required in order to hire, develop, support and oversee the Scientific Services Team
- Strong time and self-management skills with ability to work and advise seamlessly across multiple projects and issues
- A people person who understands how to build and retain a strong, engaged, productive and happy team
- The ability to inspire, influence and share knowledge with others who are less experienced in Scientific Content generation
- A willingness to constructively challenge colleagues, other agencies and clients alike
- Comfortable advising and collaborating with other extended team members
- Knowledge of financial management and budgets for projects
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organisational and administrative skills
- 12-15 years’ experience in the med comms/healthcare arena
- Degree or higher degree in Life Sciences, Pharmacy, or Medicine (BSc, BA, PharmD, PhD, MD).
- Language Skills
- Proficient use of English language. Skills
- Highly-developed motivational and leadership qualities
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to negotiate with other departments and resolve conflicts.
- Effective delegation skills.
- Ability to keep calm under pressure.
- A flexible attitude with respect to work assignments and ability to manage multiple and varied tasks with enthusiasm and prioritize workload.
- Willingness to undertake continuous professional learning and development.
- Highly IT literate - advanced experience with Microsoft-based applications and general knowledge of PC functions.
- Willingness to work in a matrix environment and to value the importance of teamwork
Litmus is part of Syneos Health Communications, a purpose-built collective of agencies focused on supporting health and biopharmaceutical innovators. We work in scalable, collaborative teams that partner across disciplines and geographies to deliver integrated communications strategies that accelerate brand performance. In today’s fast-changing and complex environment, success lies in making connections: between science, emotion and technology; between data, design and human insight. We are able to make those connections because our advertising, public relations, medical communications, digital, data science, research and market access specialists work closely with each other and with healthcare experts, including physicians, pharmacists and advocates. Together, we are the connected healthcare partner tapping rich insights to drive innovation, change behavior and pioneer a new era of accountable marketing.
Syneos Health Communications is powered by Syneos Health, a global professional services organization designed to help the biopharmaceutical industry shorten the distance from lab to life.
WORK HERE MATTERS EVERYWHERE | How will you accelerate bringing new therapies to patients?