Updated: October 28, 2020
Location: Westerville, OH, United States
Job ID: 128042
Can you reach people with just a few words?You express all of your ideas effortlessly, and have the skills to distill other people's ideas into their best possible form. Your messaging is not only clear and concise, but your medical expertise allows you to convey high-level scientific knowledge in meaningful and comprehensible communications. Does this sound like you? A Medical Director role with GSW may be the perfect place for you.
GSW is a full-service healthcare communications agency that goes beyond advertising to create personalized brand experiences. We develop strategic marketing solutions for pharmaceutical, biotech and health-and-wellness clients around the world. We create experiences that involve, inspire, educate and activate people through ongoing brand journeys.
The Associate Medical Director (AMD) directs the medical/scientific strategy for multiple disease states and ensures the clinical relevancy/accuracy for all healthcare related communication vehicles within the accounts he or she oversees. The AMD is a cross-functional position and partners with account, creative (copy and design) as well as brand strategy. This position particularly works closely with brand strategy and creative in researching, reviewing, and writing scientific material. The AMD is responsible for building internal understanding of relevant pharmaceuticals, devices and disease states, as well as assessing the current and future competitive environment to ensure building on-strategy platforms for execution.
• Responsible for content development and high-level written output of science/clinically-focused materials (e.g. monographs, clinical reviews, etc.)
• Reviews available clinical data and market directions/needs to develop compelling concepts/stories that drive the brand and/or market
• Attends scientific/medical conferences and market research to gain insight into new clinical developments, market direction/competitive intelligence
• Alerts team/clients to new data, changes in practice or other market developments that may affect brand strategic objectives and offers solutions to meet the change(s)
• Maintains expertise in relevant therapeutic categories
•Partners with creative to give insight and direction to promotional and medical-promotional writing (e.g. sales aids, advertorials, etc.)
• Responsible for review of early-stage and end-output materials for medical/scientific accuracy and content
• Serves as a medical/science advisor to Account Services, Creative, Brand Strategy as well as clients
• Develops science-based strategic insight into the current and future therapeutic market to meet brand objectives for both current clients as well as new business opportunities
• Develops and supports scientific/clinical educational offerings to maintain and advance team members and clients
• Partners with Brand Strategy to offer the client value-added services such as competitive intelligence, literature reviews & evaluation, conference reviews and insights as well as developing new business strategies
• Position requires some travel
• Advanced degree required: MS, PharmD, or PhD or other professional degree with relevant healthcare experience preferred
• At least 2 years previous experience in the pharmaceutical/medical/science industry
• Must be able to provide scientific and medical expertise across a broad range of therapeutic categories
• Ability to communicate technical/medical information to a wide variety of audiences
• Must be able to work within a fast-paced, deadline-driven, team environment
Key Competencies for Position:
• Problem Solving: Uses logic and established methods to research, and retrieve critical data; is excellent at honest analysis; probes all sources for answers; can see hidden problems; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers
• Command Skills: Takes charge in challenging situations; does whatever it takes to get the job done despite resistance; takes unpopular stands if necessary; is looked to for direction in a crisis; is looked to as a leader
• Presentation Skills: Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small/large groups, with peers, subordinates, and bosses; is effective both inside and outside the organization; commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation
• Management Skills: Able to manage internal and/or external medical writers, provide clear direction and expectations.
GSW turns against the premise of doing the “same old.” Our culture is focused on collaborative, meaningful advertising and day-to-day interpersonal interaction. We value the diverse backgrounds of our team members, and everyone has the opportunity to provide input and be heard. GSW is comprised of creative, motivated individuals who are all here for a reason. We welcome those who strive to work above and beyond their role, who voice their opinion and who are engaged in all aspects of the agency.
At GSW, “speak people” is part of our every day. Our employees are inventing ways to go further, faster, thus giving purpose to liberating ideas within healthcare advertising.
GSW is part of Syneos Health Communications, a purpose-built collective of agencies focused on supporting health and biopharmaceutical innovators. We work in scalable, collaborative teams that partner across disciplines and geographies to deliver integrated communications strategies that accelerate brand performance. In today’s fast-changing and complex environment, success lies in making connections: between science, emotion, and technology; between data, design and human insight. We’re able to make those connections because our medical communications, digital, advertising, public relations, data science, research and market access specialists work closely with each other and with healthcare experts, including physicians, pharmacists and advocates. Together, we are the connected healthcare partner tapping rich insights to drive innovation, change behavior and pioneer a new era of accountable marketing.
Syneos Health Communications is powered by Syneos Health, a global professional services organization designed to help the biopharmaceutical industry shorten the distance from lab to life.
WORK HERE MATTERS EVERYWHERE | How will you accelerate bringing new therapies to patients?
Syneos Health is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled)
Discover what our 24,000 employees already know: work here matters everywhere. We work hard, and smart, all in the name of getting much-needed therapies to those who need them most. A career with Syneos Health means your everyday work improves patients’ lives around the world. Selecting us as an employer secures a career in which you’re guaranteed to: