The Freelance Print Production Manager is accountable for the success of print management from project briefing to delivery of final printed materials within scope, timeline and budget outlined. They must have a thorough understanding of all matters related to print production.
- In partnership with Project Managers, they develop print specifications and print estimates for all print projects. They are responsible for liaising with external vendors (e.g., printers) to factor in leads times and provide guidance on production specifications.
- Recommend stock usage in various materials for quality and cost efficiency
- Recommend digital printing when quantity is small
- Work closely with various vendors to provide innovative ideas and solutions
- Always look out for options to produce material when timeline is in jeopardy
- Provide Print Production 101 to internal teams and clients to better understand the aspect of print production cycle
- Investigate and suggest production options based on the client's priorities and needs (tight timelines, locations/distance product must be delivered to, tight budget, etc.).
- Source specialty items and printing
- Work with exhibition/display vendors to provide specifications for the production of the client's booth and POP materials such as Table Top and Pull-Up Banners
- Work with the client's chosen vendors, or with our own vendors we have developed a good working relationship with, to produce quality products on time.
- Look out for potential efficiencies, as well as potential delays and issues.
- Work with vendors to obtain mock-ups, samples, sketches and die-lines for review prior to the finalization of a design.
- Review studio files to ensure layouts are as per print spec before final collection for print
- Review printer’s proof and obtain internal sign off on proofs
- Provide media release materials to publishers
- Responsible for stock image licensing
- Create print PO and process invoices
Has complete working knowledge of printing processes (4 color, spot colors, mechanical preparation, paper stock, file formats, finishing and bindery techniques, etc.)
- BA, BS, or relevant degree
- At least 3 years of experience in the print production industry desired
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to multitask, think strategically, coordinate and execute events, create and adhere to schedules, and problem solve
- Thorough, precise, meticulous, focused, methodical, and proficient with numbers and spreadsheets