GSW is looking for a talented and energetic Tech Director to join our NYC team!
This position will blend technical capabilities with communication and management skills.
As such, the candidate should have a solid development background and working knowledge and ability to execute on modern web platforms such as AWS LAMP, .NET, and MEAN stacks. Expertise in CMS platforms such as Wordpress and Sitecore are crucial. Additionally, having expertise in leveraging build scripts, managing SSL procurement, managing GIT repositories are an absolute must.
The Tech Director must have a crystal clear understanding of the entire project lifecycle (discovery, definition, design, development, deployment). It is critically important that the candidate has successfully lead development projects from discovery on through deployment.
Candidate will require an intimate knowledge of the deployment process across a number of platforms and scenarios (agency-hosted, client-hosted, vendor relationships, etc).
There will be as much hands-on work as there will be team management and orchestration. Part of the candidates day-to-day will be calibrating with the SVP of Technology, other Tech Directors and Project Management teams to ensure projects are being properly scoped, organized and executed.
GSW is committed to excellent client service, and communication with client and client IT will be a daily occurance. The candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills that demonstrates knowledge in their field, and can make technology relatable to less technical individuals. A talent for teamwork and collaboration is a must, along with a desire and excitement to explore new technologies.
- Candidate will often be in communication with account clients and their IT departments.
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Must be able to interact and collaborate on an individual or group setting. Able to escalate issues, both technical and timing, in a professional and clear manor.
- Explain sensitive and complicated issues such as graceful degradation / cross-browser compatibility to other non-technical teams such as account and production.
- Accurately predict development timelines, be able to stick to them and react quickly to change. Ability to own a project by helping to identify missing pieces and solutions.
- Understand the pace of advertising. Things move quickly, ideas are fluid and need to be guided home in a calm, professional and optimistic manor.
- Must be a good communicator with people both above and below. The Tech Director is a crucial line of defense for the integrity of the build - a friendly/open working relationship with team members and vendor partners is an absolute must.
- Tech Director will delegate to development team based on a given project’s requirements. Beyond team management, the Lead will also need to be able to understand the strategic business needs at hand and translate that into actionable items for development team to execute upon.
- Bachelors degree. Computer Science Degree Preferred, or comparable experience
- 5+ years experience, preferably at an advertising agency
- Able to demonstrate success from communications, (business-related) strategic and client/IT relationship perspectives.
- Expert in OO JS, HTML, CSS3, mobile best practices, social media integration.
- Experience using GSAP, Three.js, D3.js, and other JS-based animation and visualization platforms.
- Experienced in using LESS/SASS, leveraging gulp/grunt/webpack for builds.
- Expertise in working with GIT, both on an individual level and with teams.
- Experience integrating with a CMS (Wordpress, .NET such as Sitecore)
- Working understanding of back-end programming. LAMP and MEAN stacks are a plus.