Viela Bio is a startup clinical-stage biotechnology company which was a spin out of AstraZeneca’s global biologics research and development arm; MedImmune. Viela Bio will focus on developing medicines for severe autoimmune diseases by targeting the underlying causes of each disease.
Headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland Viela Bio’s portfolio selectively targets shared critical pathways that are the root cause of disease. Led by a team of global leaders in inflammation and autoimmunity, Viela Bio strives to be a fully integrated biotechnology company, helping millions of patients worldwide.
The Medical Affairs Lead is responsible for the overall MA strategy during preparation for launch, during launch and post launch. MAL will work closely with the commercial lead to develop the processes and allocated the resources to support such strategy. MAL will provide guidance and support to the MSL lead and team in executing the strategic plan. The MAL will have a leadership role in the multidisciplinary team of Viela bio and will work closely with the CD Leads, CMO, Regulatory, legal and commercial.
- Develop the strategic plan for Medical Affairs team.
- Develop the syllabus for MSLs.
- Develop a comprehensive plan for engagement with US experts in disease area.
- Develop strategic plan for MA cover of all US territory.
- Lead and manage effective relationships with US Key Opinion Leaders.
- Ensure appropriate allocation of resources across the Viela Bio brands and pipeline, in line with corporate strategies and priorities.
- Network extensively to develop long-term strategic partnerships with thought leaders both internally and externally.
- Represent Viela Bio at medical meetings, advisory boards and outreach meetings as needed/appropriate.
- Contribute to and collaborate with clinical development with regards to ongoing or planned interventional clinical trials (phase 1-4) as needed.
- Develop a strategy for approval and managing investigator-initiated studies.
- At least 5 years of successful academic work in medical discipline related to immunology plus 5 years industry experience in MA in disease area related to immunology including rare diseases. Product launching experience is desirable.
- Solid personal and professional relationships with key opinion leaders (KOLs) in medical areas related to immunology.
- Strong credibility within the US medical community which includes the ability to reach out to key thought leaders in academia.
- Strong working knowledge of the clinical drug development process in the USA.
- Strong skills and experience in analyzing and presenting complex clinical data.
- Strong understanding and experience in the regulatory guidelines governing MA.
- Track record in the conduct/participation in clinical trials (investigator initiated, company sponsored or cooperative group trials) and their subsequent publications.
- Experience managing and leading MSL teams.
Education and Minimal Requirement:
MD or DO with board certification and /or board eligibility in medical discipline related to immunology. US State Licensure to practice medicine is required.